Thursday, October 12, 2017

Paint Gwinnett Pink 5k

Hey, Y'all!

It's been awhile, and I have a lot to talk about. I've started making some BIG changes to my diet, but I will discuss those changes in another post very soon.

Today I want to share a bit about my first 5K in over a year! The Paint Gwinnett Pink 5k walk/run.

I wasn't entirely sure that I would be able to do 3.1 miles. I signed up a while back and even formed a team-Pam's Pink Posse! This event seemed to be the perfect 5k since it was being held one year after my diagnosis. I was officially diagnosed the beginning of October of 2016, and this walk/run was held on October 7, 2017! Another big plus was that the money raised from this event would go to support the very hospital and cancer care center where I received my treatments. How could I NOT sign up for this one??!!

After I registered for the 5k, my good friend Laurie, who fought and won her battle with breast cancer 7 years ago decided that she would fly down from Connecticut to be a part of the team and to spend a few days with my family and me! I was BEYOND excited to have Laurie visit!


I was so happy to also have our dear friends, Randy and Sherry Fortenberry come down from South Carolina to participate! Sherry, in addition to being a great friend, is also a bit of a miracle worker! She convinced my 16 y/o, Conor to wear a tutu! Randy and Sherry's daughter Randi made the adorable tutus in South Carolina (she's awesome!), but Conor said that he loved me but that he would NOT wear a pink tutu, so she didn't make him one! After Sherry convinced him to change his mind, she quickly made him one (she just HAPPENED to have the extra tulle with her??!) on Friday night after checking into their hotel! When she delivered it to him at Cool Ray Field, he still wasn't completely sure about the whole thing!! Watching him put it on was priceless!!

Sherry and Conor



Randy and Sherry

I felt so blessed to have my old friend Judy join us! Judy and I have been friends since we were 12 years old and she has always been one of my biggest supporters in my crazy running adventures! She doesn't run herself, but she was more than ready to join in and walk! Judy provided the adorable hats for the team! 

Laurie and Judy

In addition to my old friends-I had a new friend join in! Angelle works with Ray, and she came out to show her support! Such a sweet woman!


Angelle and Ray

Yes-that's my sweet hubby wearing the tutu! Oddly enough, he was pretty quickly convinced to wear the tutu and tights!!




Ray, Pam, Conor, Alex

I had so much fun, but I also got very emotional at times. Seeing my name on the Survivor board evoked so many different emotions.


As I mentioned, I wasn't sure that I would be able to complete the 3.1-mile course. I had some lab work done on Friday, and I had been feeling unusually lethargic. However, once out on the course with my family, friends and all of the other pink wearing warriors-how could I NOT finish?? Actually, by mile two, Sherry and I were planning our next marathon! NYC-2018!!! Alex said she's in for her first full marathon! Judy and Laurie said they would be there to cheer us on!

It's amazing how empowered you start to feel after making it through such a terrible year! I realized that I really AM a SURVIVOR!!!

Pam's Pink Posse



2 comments:

  1. You are a survivor! Congrats on that 5k. Hoping that there are many more and even some longer distances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Planning some longer distance races right now!

    ReplyDelete